Student Handbook 2
SECTION 2 : ACADEMIC INFORMATION
- AWARDS - An awards presentation will be held on the last day of school. The following awards will be given:
Academic Awards - for average of 90% in Grades 1-6, 85% in junior high, or 80% in senior high.
- Governor-General Award - highest average in subjects that are taken for credit in Grades 11 and 12
Athletic Awards - top male and female athletes
Attendance and punctuality - perfect attendance
Scripture memory - all memory work done
Scripture mastery - all memory work recited again in June
Huber Memorial Award - voted on by staff and students
Subject Awards - Music
-Foods/Fashion RAP Drama - Art
- COURSE OFFERINGS - Grade 7-10 core subjects are offered on a full year basis. Grades 11/12 core subjects are offered on a semester basis as well as some electives for Grades 10/11/12.
In addition, music and CTS are available all year as electives.
Physics 20 and 30 are offered on alternate years with Chemistry 20 and 30. Spanish 10 and 20 are offered every other year with Spanish 30 offered on the alternate year.
A deadline is set at the beginning of each semester after which courses may not be added or dropped. This date allows at least a full week of classes before the deadline.
- GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS - The OKCS graduation requirements reflect the minimum requirements from Alberta Education for an Alberta High School Diploma. In order to earn an Alberta High School Diploma through OKCS, a student must successfully complete 100 credits which will include the following courses:
English 10 or 13, 20 or 23, 30 or 33 15
Social Studies 10 or 13, 20 or 23, 30 or 33 15
Math 10 (Pure or Applied) or 14, 20 or 23 or 24 10
Science 10 or 14 5
Biology 20 or Chemistry 20 or Physics 20 5
Physical Education 10 4
Career and Life Management 20 3
Bible 15, 25, 35 9
10 credits from CTS, Fine Arts or Second Languages 10
10 credits in Grade 12 subjects in addition to Eng and SS 10
at least 17 other credits 17
Most students attain 110-130 credits by the end of Grade 12
- HONOUR ROLL - Students who attain a yearly average of 90% in elementary, 85% in junior high or 80% in senior high are placed on the honour roll. The student's name will be displayed on a plaque.
- JUNIOR HIGH OPTIONS - Junior High Options is a program designed to provide students with opportunities to discover and learn about various areas of interest. Junior High students may choose an option course for each quarter of the year.
- PROBATION (ACADEMIC) - A student who has a failing grade in any subject will be placed on academic probation resulting in removal from extra-curricular activities until the grade has improved. He/she will remain on probation the remainder of the semester.
- REPORT CARDS - Grades 1-9 report cards are issued 3 times per year. Grades 10-12 report cards are issued quarterly. Parents must sign the cards and return them to school as soon as possible. Opportunity is given for parent-teacher interviews after each reporting period with the exception of the period ending in June.
- SCHOLARSHIPS - Several scholarships are available to OKCS students. They include:
- The Huber Memorial Scholarship - $150 accompanying the High School Citizenship Award.
- Rutherford Scholarships - awarded to students enrolled in a post-secondary institution or apprenticeship for each year of high school in which an 75% average was achieved. Application deadline is May 1 of your graduating year.
- A variety of other scholarships are available. Information may be obtained from the Guidance Counselor.
- TEXTBOOKS - All textbooks are provided by OKCS and no fees are charged for their use. Proper care should be taken of these books. Should they be damaged beyond what is reasonable, the student will be charged for the damages and his/her report card will be held until payment is made.